Saturday, March 29, 2008

Stephanie Hyde says...

Mosiah 3-9

I love these chapters in the book of Mosiah. The words of King Benjamin have always been such an inspiration to me and I'm always so excited when I get to this part in the Book of Mormon. I refer to it fondly as "King Benjamin's General Conference" and the story of the conversion of his people is especially touching. In my mind, they weren't necessarily living in sin or turning away from the Lord. They just weren't quite there yet. They hadn't become fully converted to the doctrine of Jesus Christ, but through the righteous example and powerful testimony of their beloved king, they came to know the truth. They came to know the Savior.

As I was reading these chapters, one verse hit me harder than any other. It's one that I've never taken particular note of, but that really made me think this time. In Chapter 5, verse 13, it says, "For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?"

Benjamin encouraged his people to always remember the covenants they made with the Lord. Not only to remember, but to keep His name written on their hearts and not turn away. I love how he says it, though. "For how knoweth a man the master who he has not served . . .?" We cannot know the Lord unless we serve Him. We cannot know the Lord unless we turn to him in times of need. We cannot know the Lord unless we think of Him and remember him daily. We cannot know the Lord unless we are willing to have His name written upon our hearts.

Chapters 3 - 6 are filled with little gems of wisdom from King Benjamin. And I love how they are all so closely related to each other. He speaks about the natural man and encourages us (yes, us!) to put off our sins. He offers reminders of all that the Lord has given us and of our responsibility to show our gratitude to Him by serving others. The scriptures are so amazing! I love learning from them! It's so easy to just go about our lives and not think about them or about the prophets or all the blessings we have been given from the Lord. But in the times that we truly remember and turn our hearts to the Lord - that is when we are truly happy!

The next three chapters are the beginnings of the story of one of my favorite prophets in the book of Mormon - Abinadi. Just like when I read about King Benjamin, I get all excited when the time comes to read the story of Abinadi!

I know the Book of Mormon is real and true and perfect in its teachings! I know we can find peace and happiness as we read its pages and strive to follow the Lord's counsel and commandments. And I am grateful to have the words of the ancient prophets at my fingertips each and every day! What a tremendous blessing!

No comments: